Friday, December 6, 2013

"Don't Go'

He told me he was going to be going away. I told him good for him and that I was happy for him. As I faked a smile on my face as he told me his plans and I pretended I was happy for him. He had been wanting to get out of this town. This whole time I was thinking please don't go. I need you here with me. I'm nothing without you. I was crying on the inside yet I looked happy on the outside. The time came for him to leave. I helped him pack his things. He told me that we would make this work so we wouldn't have to break up. I stood there as he left waving and all I felt was emptiness. The best thing in my life was leaving and there was nothing I could do. Weeks before he told me he was going to leave I wanted to tell him that I loved him but I was always to scared to. When he did tell me he was leaving I knew I couldn't tell him I loved him. I didn't want to hold him back from something he wanted to do. So here I stand now watching him leave. He doesn't know how much I am hurting or that I even love him. It is all too late now. I can't go back and change the past. I wonder if I did tell him that I loved him would he still be here with me. But I will never know because I never told him don't go.

2 comments:

  1. There's lots of narrative tension/conflict here between these two characters and also mentally on the part of one character. So you've nailed the prose part, but what sort of poetic elements can I identify here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very powerful and makes me feel for whoever it is. I wonder if it's you..

    ReplyDelete